Our hectic day to day lives can build up a great deal of stress and lead to burn out. Most of us have heard this can lead to health problems as well as negatively affect creativity and concentration. Although we can’t just completely abandon our responsibilities and get away there are several methods for quick stress relief that can help get you through the day when feeling overwhelmed.
- Take a quick mental vacation. Visualize one of your most pleasurable scenes. Close your eyes for a few minutes and imagine you are there in your favorite place.
- Relax your muscles. Slowly tense and relax your muscles one area at a time. Start with your toes and go up to your neck.
- Try some deep breathing exercises. This feeds your brain oxygen and can help relieve anxiety. Combine a few deep breaths with visualizing that place you would love to be to get some immediate stress relief.
- Engage your senses. Take a moment to look at some favorite pictures. Eat a piece of your favorite candy or give your hands a quick massage. Determine which type of activity works best for you.
- Last but, definitely not least – laugh. Someone once said “seven belly laughs a day keeps the doctor away”. Just like exercise, laughter increases those “feel good” hormones, endorphins. Keep some items around that give you a chuckle or take a moment to talk to someone known for that great sense of humor
Like anything else, you will have to practice to find what works for you. In time you will discover techniques to help get you through those crazy days.